Magilla Gorilla (character)
- This article is about the main title character. For other uses, see Magilla Gorilla.
|Member of:||Yogi's Gang in Yogi's Gang|
Wally Gator in Fender Bender 500
Jabberjaw in Jellystone!
Loopy De Loop in Jellystone!
Magilla's in Jellystone!
|Occupation:||Actor in Nightwing/Magilla Gorilla Special|
|Father:||Mr. Peebles, adoptive father in Nightwing/Magilla Gorilla Special|
|Sibling(s):||One sister, Maggie Gorilla, in Nightwing/Magilla Gorilla Special|
|First appearance:||MG: "Big Game" (1964)|
|Played by:||Allan Melvin (1964-94)|
Maurice LaMarche (2005, 2008)
Frank Welker (2019)
Paul F. Tompkins (2021)
Fender Bender 500
As Magilla Ice in Yo, Yogi!
Nightwing/Magilla Gorilla Special
Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?
Magilla is an anthropomorphic gorilla with light brown hair. He sports a purple bow tie, red shorts with green suspenders, a purple derby hat, and brown dress shoes.
Owned by the pet shop owner, Mr. Peebles, Magilla is a fun-loving primate who spends most his time in the front display window of his shop. He is prone to all sorts of trouble and is a constant strain to Peebles's finances. Due to his tomfoolery, Magilla's asking price would get lower and lower, until he briefly gets bought by another person. The customer in question would use Magilla for various purposes, but with one mishap or another ensuing, he always winds up back in the store with a refund at hand.
Occasionally, the gorilla is also a friend to a little girl named Ogee―the only customer to show interest in owning him.
- Magilla Gorilla
- Funtastic Treasure Hunt
- Yo, Yogi! (as Magilla Ice)
- Space Ghost Coast to Coast
- 3.10 "Glen Campbell" (mentioned)
- Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law
- Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?
- 1.1 "Yogi's Tummy Trouble" (no lines)
- 1.2 "Gorilla in Our Midst" (no lines)
- 1.5 "A Coconut to Remember"
- 1.7 "Must Be Jelly" (no lines)
- 1.9 "VIP Baby You Know Me" (no lines)
- 1.10 "El Kabong's Kabong is Gone"
- 1.11 "Mr. Flabby Dabby Wabby Jabby" (no lines)
- 1.13 "DNA, A-OK!" (no lines)
- 1.14 "Face of the Town!" (no lines)
- 1.17 "Gotta Kiss Them All" (no lines)
- 1.18 "Jelly Wrestle Rumble" (no lines)
- 1.19 "A Fish Sticky Situation"
- 1.20 "A Town Video: Welcome to Jellystone" (no lines)
- 1.21 "Spell Book" (no lines)
- 1.22 "Lady Danjjer: Is It Wrong to Long for Kabong?"
- 1.23 "Baby Shenanigans" (no lines)
- 1.24 "Bleep!"
- 1.25 "Yogi's Mid-Life Crisis" (no lines)
- 1.27 "The Sea Monster of Jellystone Cove"
- 1.30 "Uh Oh! It's a Burglar!"
- 1.33 "The Big Stink" (no lines)
- 1.35 "The Box Thief" (no lines)
- 1.36 "Jailcation" (no lines)
- 1.39 "Heroes and Capes" (no lines)
- Yogi's Ark Lark
- Yogi Bear's All-Star Comedy Christmas Caper
- The Good, the Bad and Huckleberry Hound
- Scooby-Doo! Mask of the Blue Falcon (poster)
- Hanna-Barbera's 50th: A Yabba Dabba Doo Celebration (no lines)
- Arabian Nights
- The 1st 13th Annual Fancy Anvil Awards Show Program Special: Live in Stereo (no lines)
- "Everyone" (no lines)
- Magilla Gorilla (Gold Key Comics)
- Magilla Gorilla Kite Fun Book
- Magilla Gorilla (Charlton Comics)
- #6 "The Discount of Monty Cristo" (no lines)
- The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera
- #2J "Magilla Magic!"
- Hanna-Barbera Spotlight
- Cartoon Network Christmas Spectacular
- #1F "Don't Badger the Customers"
- Cartoon Network Presents
- #22C "Mighty Magilla"
- Scooby-Doo! Team-Up
- #47 "Don't Get Mad, Scientist"
- Nightwing/Magilla Gorilla Special
- #1A "A Shrewdness of Apes"
Magilla Gorilla for Sale
It's Yogi's Gang!
Yogi's Ark Lark
Yogi Bear's All Star Comedy Christmas Caper
Yogi's Treasure Hunt
The Good, the Bad, and Huckleberry Hound
Everyone's Back in Jellystone!
Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?
Magilla in the Funny Books
Cartoon Network Presents
Magilla's name originates from "megillah", an English slang word referring to a long and sometimes drawn-out story, and derrived from the Yiddish word "megile", which itself comes from the Hebrew word "megillah" (מְגִילָּה, "scroll").
- Main article: Magilla Gorilla (character)/Gallery
Behind the scenes
In popular culture
- Magilla is mentioned by one of Elaine's co-workers in a deleted scene of the Seinfeld episode "Summer of George."
- In The Simpsons episode "When You Dish Upon a Star," Homer dreams that he's Magilla and mauls Mr. Peebles after he takes away his banana.
- In The Parkers episode "The Boomerang Effect," Nikki calls Maurice Magilla Gorilla after they discover he has an extremely hairy chest when he auditions for Kim and Nikki's calendar of college hunks.
- In the first half of the Mad episode "Demise of the Planet of the Apes/The Celebrity Ape-rentice," Magilla is one of the monkeys in the zoo.
- Gottlieb Wolfe, Marjorie. "THE BIG MEGILLAH VS. MAGILLA GORILLA". Retrieved May 28, 2023.