- This article is about the TV series. For the first episode of Velma, see "Velma." For the character herself, see Velma Dinkley.
No dogs allowed.
|Created by:||Charlie Grandy|
|Production company:||Charlie Grandy Productions|
Kaling International, Inc.
3 Arts Entertainment
Warner Bros. Animation
|Distributor:||Warner Bros. Television|
|Original release:||January 12, 2023|
|Run time:||26 minutes|
|Executive producer(s):||Charlie Grandy|
|Music composed by:||Craig DeLeon|
|Director(s):||Anne Walker Farrell|
|← Previous||Next →|
Velma, also known as Velma: The Series, is an American adult animated mystery television series created by Charlie Grundy. It is being produced by Warner Bros. Animation, in association with Charlie Grandy Productions, Kaling International, Inc., and 3 Arts Entertainment, for HBO Max in 2023. It is the fourteenth Scooby-Doo series after Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!
Velma is the prime suspect in the murder of one of the popular girls at Crystal Cove High School. To clear her name, she must recruit a former best friend and current bitch Daphne, her boyfriend and Velma's crush, Fred, and Norville, a fellow nerd who has the unrequited crush on her.
The "Velma" name was trademarked and the series was announced on February 10, 2021 with a 10 episode order from HBO Max, with Warner Bros. Animation producing. The same day on Instagram, Mindy Kaling one of its executive producers who will also star as its lead, shed some light on the above-mentioned plot, while also making a point of mentioning Velma's budding sexuality.
On June 8, 2021, Tom Ascheim, President of Warner Bros. Global Kids, Young Adults and Classics, claimed the series was in a "different world," that Velma would be of East Asian descent, and would include Shaggy, Fred, and Daphne, but not Scooby, or the Mystery Machine. Scooby's absence was because the producers felt that he didn't belong in the adult world they were creating, combined with the fact that Warner Bros. Animation forbade it. Although dogs like him may be alluded to.
Production officially began on June 1, 2021.
On October 6, 2022, a teaser trailer was released, mocking the negative fan reactions to the changes, by using Velma to complain about an in-universe change surrounding Judy Jetson, but relieved she was still kept white. The trailer ended with the announcement that the series would be streamed in 2023.
On the same day the series was announced to be in development, Mindy Kaling was confirmed to be the voice of Velma.
In December 2021, Frank Welker, the original voice of Fred from the original series, Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!, revealed he would be playing a new character, which turned out to be none other than Fred's dad, William.
|Title||Number||Original air date|
|"Velma"||1x01||January 12, 2023|
|"The Candy (Wo)man"||1x02||January 12, 2023|
|"Velma Kai"||1x03||January 19, 2023|
|"Velma Makes the List"||1x04||January 19, 2023|
|"Marching Band Sleepover"||1x05||January 26, 2023|
|"The Sins of the Fathers and Some of the Mothers"||1x06||January 26, 2023|
|"Fog Fest"||1x07||February 2, 2023|
|"A Velma in the Woods"||1x08||February 2, 2023|
|"Family (Wo)man"||1x09||February 9, 2023|
|"The Brains of the Operation"||1x10||February 9, 2023|
- Mindy Kaling as Velma Dinkley
- Constance Wu as Daphne Blake
- Sam Richardson as Norville Rogers
- Glenn Howerton as Fred Jones
- Cherry Jones
- "Weird Al" Yankovic
- Russell Peters
- Wanda Sykes
- Melissa Fumero
- Stephen Root
- Gary Cole
- Fortune Feimster
- Yvonne Orji
- Sarayu Blue
- Nicole Byer
- Ming-Na Wen
- Shay Mitchell
- Debby Ryan
- Jane Lynch
- Kulap Vilaysack
- Karl-Anthony Towns
- "Velma Trademark Information". Trademarkia. Retrieved August 10, 2022.
- Otterson, Joe (February 10, 2021). "Velma Dinkley Series Starring Mindy Kaling, ‘Clone High’ Reboot Among HBO Max Adult Animation Orders". Variety. Retrieved June 10, 2021.
- Kaling, Mindy (February 10, 2021). "I'm so excited to be voicing this iconic character! Velma will struggle to navigate the pitfalls of high school, her budding sexuality, and a serial killer intent on murdering every popular kid in town. Sounds epic, @charliegrandy! Can’t wait!". Instagram. Retrieved June 10, 2021.
- TV Kids Summer Festival 2021 (June 8, 2021). "Keynote: WarnerMedia’s Tom Ascheim" (22:03-22:31). World Screen Events. Retrieved June 10, 2021.
- Rouse, Isaac (October 6, 2022). "Mindy Kaling & ‘Velma’ Cast Talk M.I.A. Scooby-Doo & ‘Modern’ Changes at NYCC 2022 Panel". TV Insider. Retrieved October 7, 2022.
- Rice, Lynette (May 18, 2022). "Mindy Kaling Addresses Turning ‘Velma’ Into Story About South Asian Crime Solver: ‘If People Freak Out About That, I Don’t Care’; First-Look Revealed". Deadline. Retrieved May 18, 2022.
- Milligan, Mercedes (September 12, 2022). "NYCC: WBD Spotlights ‘Velma,’ Tartakovsky’s ‘Unicorn,’ DC Animation & More". Animation Magazine. Retrieved September 12, 2022.
- Velma (September 3, 2022). "If you thought my first tweet would be “Jinkies” you don’t know me as well as you think!". Twitter. Retrieved September 3, 2022.
- (September 3, 2022). "If this was really my story told my way, they wouldn’t have shot me from such an unflattering angle!". Instagram. Retrieved September 3, 2022.
- Porter, Rick (October 6, 2022). "Mindy Kaling’s ‘Velma’ HBO Max Series Assembles Its Scooby Gang". Variety. Retrieved October 6, 2022.
- Sandford, Seb (December 4, 2021). "My Virtual GalaxyCon Video Chat with Frank Welker" (at 5:53). YouTube. Retrieved July 6, 2022.
- Velma (October 6, 2022). "@megawelker [not authentic literally created Fred Jones. And not only because he was the original voice of Fred but also because he’s now playing our Fred's dad, William Jones."]. Twitter. Retrieved October 6, 2022.
- Velma (October 6, 2022). "So proud to have @alyankovic play against type in his first dramatic role as the very serious and totally normal character, Dandruff Tuba.". Twitter. Retrieved October 7, 2022.
- @velmatheseries (January 13, 2023). "If you’ve ever wondered what my hallucinations are like, try the #VelmatheSeries lens". Twitter. Retrieved January 15, 2023.