Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs
|Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs|
On-screen title card.
|Created by:||Mark Marek|
|Production company:||Warner Bros. Animation|
|Distributor:||Warner Bros. Television|
|Original release:||September 30, 2021―February 17, 2022|
|Run time:||11 minutes|
Kevin Michael Richardson
|Executive producer(s):||Sam Register|
|Music composed by:||Alessandro Tabora|
|← Previous||Next →|
Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs is an American animated TV sitcom produced by Warner Bros. Animation for HBO Max. It ran from 2021 to 2022, airing 26 episodes that spanned one season (although HBO Max will tell you it spanned two). It is the sixth Flintstones series after The Flintstones. The canned laugh track has made a comeback but is employed at completely random times (just like ABC's Sports Night). There is also a Hanna-Barbera logo at the end, despite the fact it's still a defunct studio.
Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm, along with pet, Dino, venture into the unexplored Crags outside of Bedrock, where new dinosaurs are waiting to be discovered and potentially harassed by the scientifically curious Pebbles and meat-headed Bamm-Bamm.
This is the second series after Cave Kids to star Pebbles, Bamm-Bamm, and Dino, although unlike that series, the parents are included, who now barely read like their original counterparts, so, pros and cons.
In early 2016, character designer Chris Battle was one of the artists tasked with creating a new series called Yabba-Dabba Dinosaurs!, about a much younger Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm, which came close to being made into a pilot, before being put on hold.
It was originally intended for Boomerang's SVOD service in 2019, but was silently dropped because Boomerang had no convictions towards the negative reactions from the animation community based on one episode that was leaked after previewing it in 2018. It did, however, air in Europe during 2020, and eventually, after a year-long delay in Canada, the first few episodes aired on Teletoon during the fall of 2020, until all their attention moved onto the Animaniacs revival for not only first-run showings, but also repeated viewings.
On December 12, 2018, Will Terrell an artist on Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz, another Warner Bros. Animation-produced series, announced that his series, Wacky Races, and Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs had been canceled. Joe Apel, who worked as an artist on Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs, confirmed this abrupt cancellation since the series was intended for two seasons. All the storyboard artists had been laid off that same month.
Two other Caveman/Oomf episodes had been written, where he would travel to Bedrock, and then join a circus gaining the moniker of Captain Caveman.
On August 19, 2021, it was announced that HBO Max would host it as one of their originals for September 30. Would the positive reactions to Jellystone! have anything to do with it? The second half of the season, promoted as season 2, was made available on February 17, 2022.
|"Mistaking Sides"||1x01||September 30, 2021|
|"Rock Me, Plantasaurus"||1x02||September 30, 2021|
|"Yabba-Dabba-Dabba-Kamma-Kamma-Chameleon"||1x03||September 30, 2021|
|"Treehouse Blues"||1x04||September 30, 2021|
|"Yabba Dabba Don't"||1x05||September 30, 2021|
|"Alien vs. Pebbles"||1x06||September 30, 2021|
|"Gonna Fly Now"||1x07||September 30, 2021|
|"The Grass is Always Dinner"||1x08||September 30, 2021|
|"Dawn of the Disposals"||1x09||September 30, 2021|
|"Agony Alley"||1x10||September 30, 2021|
|"Dino Holds Barred"||1x11||September 30, 2021|
|"The Spirit of Frostnos"||1x12||September 30, 2021|
|"Invasion of the Trendsetters"||1x13||September 30, 2021|
|"Bammnesia"||1x14||February 17, 2022|
|"The Rocks and the Rolliest"||1x15||February 17, 2022|
|"Dino Whisperer"||1x16||February 17, 2022|
|"Dinosaurs with Angel Faces"||1x17||February 17, 2022|
|"The Puddle Sitters Club"||1x18||February 17, 2022|
|"Doppel Dino"||1x19||February 17, 2022|
|"Pave Crag-adise"||1x20||February 17, 2022|
|"Art Attack"||1x21||February 17, 2022|
|"Over My Shed Body"||1x22||February 17, 2022|
|"Goo-rillas in the Mist"||1x23||February 17, 2022|
|"Woman from the Future"||1x24||February 17, 2022|
|"Caveman Begins"||1x25||February 17, 2022|
|"The Point of a Friend"||1x26||February 17, 2022|
One of the unproduced episodes was called "The Bedrock Beast," possibly about Captain Caveman.
Premiere dates of countries are in order of release:
- United Kingdom & Ireland: February 3, 2020 on Boomerang
- Poland: February 19, 2020 on Boomerang
- Cananda: September 5, 2020 on Teletoon
- United States: September 30, 2021 on HBO Max
- Jessica DiCicco as Pebbles Flintstone
- Ely Henry as Bamm-Bamm Rubble
- Eric Bauza as Dino
- Jeff Bergman as Fred Flintstone
- Kevin Michael Richardson as Barney Rubble
- Tress MacNeille as Wilma Flintstone
- Grey Griffin as Betty Rubble and Wiky
- Battle, Chris (February 5, 2020). "In early 2016, I was one of several artists asked to take a shot at designing a new Flintstones show about young Pebbles & Bamm Bamm that was in development at WB. A fun assignment (done between seasons of TTG), and it almost went to pilot, but the project stalled and I figured that was the end of that. Little did I know that almost 2 years later there’d be more work to do…". Instagram. Retrieved March 22, 2021.
- Terrell, Will (December 12, 2018). "Sadly, three shows at Warner Bros. were canceled this week, including mine.". Retrieved March 22, 2021.
- Terrell, Will (December 12, 2018). "Not that I know of. The 3 shows that I know were canceled were all the Boomerang App Exclusive shows. Wacky Races, Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs, and Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz, which I was on.". Retrieved March 22, 2021.
- Apel, Joe (January 2019). "Our crew on Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs found out a week before Christmas that our show, which was intended for 2 seasons, is being abruptly cut short and we're only producing one season of the show.". Instagram. Retrieved March 22, 2021.
- Ford, Joan (March 31, 2020). "Happy #TransDayOfVisibility! This is Shaley! A character I created for Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs. She's a 10 year old, action star wannabe and she's trans! I think she's the first LGTBQ character to appear in a Flintstones show. (There have already been some in the comics).". Twitter. Retrieved March 15, 2021.
- Clemmons, Steve (March 22, 2021). In response to @HBgrifkuba: "Yes! We wrote a 3 episode arc but the 2nd and 3rd scripts were never produced. One was about Oomf going to Bedrock and the other was about him joining a circus where he's given the moniker Captain Caveman. We had no plans for his story beyond that though.". Twitter. Retrieved March 22, 2021.
- Leiber Sarah Jae (August 19, 2021). "HBO Max Announces New Material for September 2021". Broadway World. Retrieved August 20, 2021.
- Grunert, Dick (March 23, 2021). "“The Bedrock Beast” was my favorite script to write. It kills me it never got made.". Twitter. Retrieved May 11, 2021.