Straight Outta Nowhere: Scooby-Doo! Meets Courage the Cowardly Dog
|Straight Outta Nowhere: Scooby-Doo! Meets Courage the Cowardly Dog|
|Production company:||Warner Bros. Animation|
|Distributor:||Warner Home Video|
|Release date:||September 14, 2021|
Adam Van Tyk
|Executive producer(s):||Sam Register|
|Music composed by:||Jody Gray|
|Screenplay by:||Mike Ryan|
Wes Gleason (voices)
|Art director(s):||Jesse Silver|
|← Previous||Next →|
Straight Outta Nowhere: Scooby-Doo! Meets Courage the Cowardly Dog is an American fantasy/supernatural comedy direct-to-video (DTV) film based on the respective TV series of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! in 1969 and Courage the Cowardly Dog in 1999. It was released by Warner Home Video on September 14, 2021. It was written by Mike Ryan, and produced and directed by Cecilia Aranovich. The film is the thirty-third installment in the Scooby-Doo 2-D animated direct-to-video film series.
Mystery Incorporated follows another mystery in the strange town of Nowhere, Kansas, where another timid, yet loyal dog lives, one Courage. Courage teams up with Mystery Inc. to uncover the appearance of a cicada swarm and other abnormal occurrences take place.
Eustace: Stupid meddling kids!
Fred: Hold the phone! There's a horrible, ugly monster driving that truck.
Muriel: Call him Eustace, dear.
Katz: And we would have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for you meddling--.
Frau Glockenspiel: Hold it right there, Katz!
Katz: And we would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling--Ow, ow, ow!
Fred: I don't understand. What is happening?
Velma: His rubber mask is really stuck on there?
Daphne: It's so realistic.
Katz: That is because, I can assure you, mystery-solving kooks, that this is indeed my very own face.
Le Quack: And we would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you annoying, meddling teenagers.
In order of appearance:
- United States
- Bagge residence
- Mayor's residence
- Nowhere Museum
- Bank of Nowhere
- Rome (mentioned)
- United States
- The Moon
- Help Yo'Self! (Jeff Bennett)
- Velma's tablet (Kate Muccucci)
- Nowhere News newspaper
- El Sandwicho Extra Grande
- Courage Snacks
- Dark matter meteor
- Courage's computer (Jeff Bergman)
- The Mystery Machine
- Eustace's truck
The idea of a crossover between Scooby-Doo and Courage the Cowardly Dog expanded from being a potential episode for Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? In late 2019, TCM briefly had the film listed as Scooby-Doo and Courage the Cowardly Dog. Between then and June 22, 2021 when it was officially announced via Syfy Wire, miscellaneous crew people had added the film to their résumé.
Maxwell Atoms, creator of The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, had been approached to direct the film but turned it down as John Dilworth, creator of Courage the Cowardly Dog, was not involved with the film at all and Atoms wanted to respect his wishes. However he did express that given the change to produce a turn-of-the-century Scooby Doo crossover, he would go for a different show.
It was copyrighted in 2021.
The music was composed by Jody Gray and Andy Ezrin.
- "Game of Life" - Andy Sturmer
- "Straight Outta Nowhere" - Jeff Bergman
- "The Opposite of Fear is Fun" - Andy Sturmer
- Casting director: Wes Gleason
- Editor: Dave Courter
- Associate producer: Dawn Merkel
- Supervising producer: Jennifer Coyle
- Executive producer: Sam Register
- Production manager: Christopher G. Collins
- Assistant production managers: Jason S. Amodeo, Jamiesen Borak, Monique Mosbe, Damon Nix
- Art director: Jesse Silver
- Character designers: Bryce Collins, TJ Collins, Shane Glines
- Prop designers: Andy Chiang, Bob Dever, Jonathan Fisher, Chad Townsend
- Background designers: Rodel Gravo, Joey Mason, Jason Park
- Background painters: Richard Evans, Abdullah Kassem, Mike Inman, Tooba Rezaei, Richard Ziehler-Martin
- Color designers: Sullivan Brown, Eloisa Lopez Aviles, Kim R. Bowen, Austin Reinkens, Craig Cuqro, Tim Szabo, Addis Zaryan
- Storyboard artists: Aluir Amancio, Richard Gaines, Juan Meza-Leon, Joonhi Park, Brandon McKinney, Adam Van Tyk
- Animatic editor: Bruce King
- Animation timers: Phil Cummings, Herb Moore, Sean Dempsey, JungJa Kim-Wolf, Mike Wolf
- Animation checkers: Justin Schultz, Hannah Thompson
- Effects animators: Gustavo Djuro, Brett Hardin
- Art director of motion graphics and design: Matthew Girardi
- Supervising animation director: Mac Whiting
- Graphics and titles artist: Brenna Kraus
- Animation services: Digital eMation
- Animation directors: Gyunsoo Lee, Jinhyun Choi
- Layout artists: Dong-Hwan Oh, Kabcheon Jung, Dongkyu Lee, Kyoochang Lee, Sang-Il Kim
- Key animators: Bongeun Kim, Kyungwon Lim, Dongwon Jung, Nami-Gil Jo, Hyunghwa Lee, Sangtae Shin, Jae-On Kim, Seung-Woo Yang, Jung-Hwa Jung, Jung-Ho Jang, Kyungsang Yoo, Sungsik Choo, Kyungsook Hwang, Yunkoo Kang
- Model checkers: Hye-Yung Jo, Jaehee Oh, Jinmi Park, Taeryung Lee
- Color background artists: Hyang-Yi Lee, Jong-Yoon Park, Sunee Heo
- Inkers and painters: Gyungran Koo, Jungbong Jang, Hye-Yung Jo, Minjung Kim, Hyojung Park, Woonrye Jung, Injoo Ahn, Jiyeon Lee, Yung-Eun Ko
- In-between animators: Chulki Hong, Mijung Jeon, Heejung Kim, Naksoo Choi, Jinsook Jung, Namki Kim, Jongkook Lee, Yoojoong Kim
- Final checkers: Bong-Soo Eun, Seung-Yong Jung
- Digital FX artists: Jangho Park, Kang-Ok Kim, Seokyoon Choi
- CG artists: Eddie Jaeil Byun, Daeguen Hong, Hongsun Yoon
- Production staff: Agatha Sarim Kim, Sujin Jung, Ashley Hee-Eun Bae, Sunmi Park, Scarlet Sookyung Kim, Yoojoong Kim
- Post production executive: Greg Emerson
- Post producer: Kip Brown
- Post production managers: Rebecca Sands Goutts
- VFX production manager: Sharon Yvonne Lopez
- VFX sr. assistant production manager: Marina Mozée
- VFX assistant production manager: Nick Bannon
- Recording facilities: Atlas Oceanic Inc., Hyperbolic Audio, Robert Pomann Sound Productions, Salami Studios
- Recording machine operator: Jeff O. Collins
- Track readers: Wilson Martinez, Fred Salinas
- Supervising dialogue/ADR editor: Mark A. Keatts
- Dialogue/ADR editors: David M. Cowan, Patrick Foley, Kelly Foley Downs, Mike Garcia, John Reynolds
- Post production sound services: Atlas Oceanic Inc.
- Assistant editors: Harrison T. Barth, Michele Beeson, Gabriel Gianola
- Production administrator: Frances Chang
- Production support: Natalie Anis, Maria Millage, Cher Bentley, Niko Sumcad, Shelly Jacobs, Kira Tirimacco, Tamara Miles, Renee Toporzysek
- Casting directors: Agnes Kim, Sarah Noonan
- Casting administration: Liz Carroll
- Production accounting: Yadira Davis, Debbie Lindquist, Maral Simonian, Athena Wingate
- Rights and clearances: Jake Baumgart, Brendan Brasier
- Business and legal affairs: Jennifer Allen, Raymond Gonzalez, Leslie Chinchilla, Shanon Muir, Amy Olmedo
- Production supervision: Bobbie Page, Liz Marshall
- Production management: Ed Adams
- Executive in charge of production: Jay Bastian
Dates are in order of release:
- United States: September 14, 2021 on DVD
Behind the scenes
- The film is a play on the song, album, and film Straight Outta Compton.
- Scooby and the gang and Courage previously met unofficially in bumpers during Cartoon Network's 2000 Scooby-Doo/Courage the Cowardly Dog Scare-a-Thon.
- Daphne says "Jeepers" four times.
- Shaggy says "Zoinks" thrice.
- Fred says "Hold the phone" twice.
- Velma says "Jinkies" five times.
- Scooby says "Ruh-roh" once.
- The Mystery Machine's license plate reads, "ZOINKS."
- The film is dedicated to Thea White, the voice of Muriel, who died a month before the film was released.
- This is the first film Ken Spears and Joe Ruby are given a special thanks (for having created Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!) since their deaths in 2020.
- Eustace says that the bread hurts his teeth, but he doesn't have any.
Marketing and promotion
In other languages
- In the United Kingdom and Ireland:
- September 13, 2021: Warner Home Video releases Straight Outta Nowhere: Scooby-Doo! Meets Courage the Cowardly Dog on DVD.
- In the United States:
- September 14, 2021: Warner Home Video releases Straight Outta Nowhere: Scooby-Doo! Meets Courage the Cowardly Dog on DVD.
- April 11, 2023: Warner Home Video releases Best of WB 100th Anniversary: Scooby-Doo! 10-Film Collection on DVD.
- In Australia:
- September 15, 2021: Warner Home Video releases Straight Outta Nowhere: Scooby-Doo! Meets Courage the Cowardly Dog on DVD.
- ^ Weiss, Josh (June 22, 2021). "Scooby-Doo Meets Courage the Cowardly Dog: Trailer for Epic Crossover Teams Up Pop Culture's Most Famous Canines". Syfy Wire. Retrieved June 24, 2021.