|Production company:||Hanna-Barbera Cartoons|
Tony Collingwood Productions Limited
|Distributor:||Turner Home Entertainment|
|Release date:||February 5, 1995|
B J Ward
|Executive producer(s):||Buzz Potamkin|
|Music composed by:||Philip Appleby|
|Screenplay by:||Dr. Seuss|
Daisy-Head Mayzie is an American animated musical fantasy TV special based on the Dr. Seuss children's book of the same name. It was a joint production between Hanna-Barbera Cartoons and Dr. Seuss Enterprises. It aired on February 5, 1995 on TNT. It was written posthumously by Dr. Seuss, under his real name of Theodor Geisel, produced by Christopher O'Hare, and directed by Tony Collingwood.
While in school, Mayzie grows a daisy on the top of her head. All the kids tease her, the adults fear for her, but a seedy agent has big plans for Mayzie and her newly attached flora.
In order of appearance:
- Maizy's school
- West Africa (indirectly mentioned)
- China (indirectly mentioned)
- Shangri La (mentioned)
- Australia (mentioned)
- Asia (indirectly mentioned)
- Malaysia (mentioned)
- Tanzania (indirectly mentioned)
- Zanzibar (mentioned)
- United States
The special was adapted from the unpublished manuscript of Dr. Seuss. It was aired the same day the book was published; the first book published since Dr. Seuss's death in 1991.
It was copyrighted in 1994.
Dates are in order of release:
- United States: February 5, 1995 on TNT
The music was composed by Philip Appleby, conducted by Geoffrey Alexander, with lyrics written by Dr. Seuss. The music was recorded at The Snake Ranch, London, while the dialogue and lyrics were recorded at The Bakery, North Hollywood.
Behind the scenes
- Whoville isn't explicitly identified as the place where Mayzie lives, but it comes from the same preexisting world, since the Cat in the Hat also cameos.
- Officer Thatcher's name didn't make it from the book to the cartoon.
In other languages
- In the United States:
- June 6, 1995: Turner Home Entertainment releases Daisy-Head Mayzie on VHS.
- March 4, 2008: Warner Home Video releases Horton Hears a Who!: Deluxe Edition on DVD.
- October 6, 2009: Warner Home Video releases Horton Hears a Who!: Deluxe Edition on Blu-ray (Daisy-Head Mayzie is still in Standard Definition).
- In the United Kingdom: