From Hanna-Barbera WikiJump to navigationJump to search
|Also known as:||Justice League|
Justice League of America (JLA)
|Location:||Hall of Justice|
|Objective:||To defend Earth domestic and extraterrestrial threats|
|First appearance:||SF: "The Power Pirate" (1973)|
The Super Friends, also spelled Superfriends,[Note 1] are a team of superheroes who defend planet Earth from domestic and alien threats, and appear in the Super Friends animated franchise.
- Super Friends
- 1.1 "The Power Pirate"
- 1.2 "The Baffles Puzzle"
- 1.3 "Professor Goodfellow's G.E.E.C."
- 1.4 "The Weather Maker"
- 1.5 "Dr. Pelagian's War"
- 1.6 "The Shamon 'U"
- 1.7 "Too Hot Too Handle"
- 1.8 "The Androids"
- 1.9 "The Balloon People"
- 1.10 "The Fantastic Frerps"
- 1.11 "The Ultra Beam"
- 1.12 "The Menace of the White Dwarf"
- 1.13 "The Mysterious Moles"
- 1.14 "Gullivar's Gigantic Goof"
- 1.15 "The Planet Spitter"
- 1.16 "The Watermen"
- The All-New Super Friends Hour
- Challenge of the Superfriends
- The World's Greatest Superfriends
- Superfriends: The Legendary Super Powers Show
- The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians
- The Super Friends
- Scooby-Doo! Team-Up
- #6 "A Super Friend in Need"
- #15 "The Ghost of Gorilla City" (mentioned)
- #18 "A Doggone Crisis!" (mentioned)
- #19 "Scooby-Doo and the Conjuror's Conundrum" (mentioned)
- #30 "Did Someone Say "Team"-Up?" (mentioned)
- #38 "It Was a Dark and Gritty Knight..." (mentioned)
Super Friends in the Funny Books
The series was named Super Friends due to the then-ongoing Vietnam War, since "Justice League of America" would be deemed culturally offensive and patriotic-sounding to foreign countries; although, the team within the series is still referred to as the Justice League and JLA.
Behind the scenes
In popular culture
- In the Moesha episode "Age Ain't Nothin' But a Number," Hakeem comes thru the Mitchell kitchen and greets them by saying, "Good evening, Superfriends." The scene is part of a clip show in "Girls' Night In."
- In the film The Incredibles 2, Evelyn mentions the "superhero friends" about not being there to save her parents, who her father preferred over calling the law.
- In the film Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Justice calls Jay "old friend," as she's lost romantic interest in him, but Jay who hasn't, says he's a "super friend who wants to get back inside the Hall of Justice, yeah."
- In the Legends of Tomorrow episode "Crisis on Infinite Earths: Part Five," the Flash has a table made for a small group of the superheroes he was aided by during the Crisis. When they were chatting, they heard monkey noises, which were from the escaped Gleek (who was introduced in The All-New Super Friends Hour), who's escaped his cage.
- While not having an official name, the superheroes have both referred to each other and been referred to as the Super Friends.
- In the Supergirl episode "In Plain Sight," Supergirl told Lena she had become an official Super Friend.
- In the Batwoman episode "Crisis on Infinite Earths: Part Two," Lex Luthor refers to the superheroes as "Super Friends."
- In the Supergirl episode "Back from the Future - Part One," both the Martian Manhunter and Winn referred to their group as "Super Friends."
- In the Supergirl episode "It's a Super Life," Mr. Mxyzptlk referred to Alex and J'onn as Kara's "Super Friends."
- In the Supergirl episode "Alex in Wonderland," while Alex pretends to be Supergirl, a billboard says that Supergirl is the "#1 Super Friend," and Bonnie calls Supergirl/Alex's friends the "Super Friends."
- In the Supergirl episode "Welcome Back, Kara!," when William talks about Supergirl and her friends, Andreas gets the idea of calling them "Super Friends."
- In the Supergirl episode "Dream Weaver," "Super Friends" has apparently become official as Andrea refers to them and even writes on a whiteboard "Superfriends."
- In the Supergirl episode "Still I Rise," it continues to be used in an apparent official capacity by Supergirl in a vegetable PSA with Brainiac 5.
- "Prey:" John Jones (Martian Manhunter) refers to the superheroes led by Green Arrow as the "Super Friends."
- "Absolute Power (Part 1):" Oliver refers to his group as the super friends, while Chloe says they need some standardized trouble alert.
- "Warrior:" Zatanna told Clark "us Super Friends have to watch out for each other."
- ^ Within the series, they have also been called both the Justice League of America and the Justice League.